In order to cultivate comprehensive understanding of areas of academic and social importance to Japan, NIHU promotes area studies by jointly establishing research centers at related universities. Its Islamic Area Studies program was begun in 2006, Contemporary Chinese Area Studies program in 2007, and Contemporary India Area Studies in 2010. NIHU recruits young scholars for its Center for Area Studies and assigns them to work with scholars at area studies centers in various parts of Japan. The asterisked items in the list below are hub research centers.
- Inter-Institutional Research
- Inter-Institutional Exhibitions
- Resource Sharing
- Japan-related Documents and Artifacts Overseas
- International Collaboration and Cooperation in Research
- Area Studies
- Public Information Services